Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Seeing Is Believing ...

A Sign of Spring!


Mid morning, while out checking cows, I noticed two birds gleaning the ground.  It was only after they startled and flew off that I realized the birds were 2 male Western Meadowlarks (Sturnella neglecta).  Did my eyes trick me?  Could it be true?  Could the sweet, flute-like warbles of the Meadowlark's returned to the somewhat snow covered, cold prairie?  


Well, my eyes didn't trick me and it's true.  Tonight, my oldest and I spotted another Western Meadowlark!  Perched high in a tree out in the home pasture, he was showing off his brilliant yellow chest!  I must say, I'm looking forward to hearing more of their cheerful music tomorrow!  Spring must be on it's way!  


2 comments:

  1. They are a pretty bird too. Especially against the blue sky. It was grey here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pretty and their song is even sweeter! There are a few more birds making it north! I finally had a robin in my yard this morning and I've seen a few small flocks of snow geese. The big flocks have yet to come. The sun has been a welcome sight! I hope it sticks around for a few more days. They have rain/snow back in the forecast for the weekend! YUCK!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...