Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tiger Salamander


(Ambystoma tigrinum)



A promise is a promise ... and I promised to take a few pics of 'Sally Salamander!'  Whether or not this Tiger Salamander is a 'Sally or a Sam,' she/he still intrigued my boys for much of the morning until a certain 'Mom' said it was time to return 'Sally' to her family!  Tiger Salamanders are found throughout south and central Alberta and I think they've intrigued many a young child (myself included) over the years.  Salamanders are amphibians with long tails and although they look like lil' lizards they are in fact amphibians!  Many people get a little squeamish at the sight of salamanders BUT their impressive appetite includes young mice!  In my opinion, anything that helps control mice is AOK in my books!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...