Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Silence Has ...

Been Replaced With Song!
Meet the Band:


Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  

This crazy looking bird is about the size of a Blue Jay but has the most incredible repertoire of songs!!!  In fact they have the largest vocal collection of an Alberta bird ... over 3000 song adaptions!!!  And the best part ... he loves my yard!  And we love to listen to his crazy songs!  




Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)

I've spotted Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in our yard before, however, the only reason I spotted this lad today was due to him flying in front of me!  They tend to stay in the top of the tree canopy and they have wonderful 'Robin-like' songs ... so unless you spot them, one tends to think you are hearing Robins!



American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis) and Pine Siskin (Carduelis pinus)

My crazy 'yellow darts' and their friends the Pine Siskins have also returned ... eating us out of house and home when it comes to niger seed!  There is certainly nothing more cheery than brilliant yellow plumage of the Goldfinch fluttering and darting about ... and even cheerier ... their trills, tweets and tweeters!  

So there you have it ... today's band ... at least what I spotted outside my front door.  I know ... BIRDS!  What can I say ... sometimes I digress but alas ... they are seasonal!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...