Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rough-Legged Hawk!


Just when you thought you were safe and you thought my obsession with raptors would be over for the season!  Well, lucky for me, (I apologize to you all) I happened to spot a Rough-Legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) up on a power line on my drive home this afternoon.  Honestly, I only spotted my first Rough-Legged Hawk only 2 weeks ago ... and I am amazed at how many are still here!


Rough-Legged Hawks nest in the Arctic and only migrate through Alberta (and they usually migrate south in October), although some will overwinter in the southern portions of the province.  The population of Rough-Legged hawks mirror the population cycles of northern lemmings.  I am just happy that we have had such an open fall that these beauties are taking their time heading south for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...